Whether you are watching a video on YouTube or scrolling through your Facebook news feed, you may come across repetitive ads, which can be very annoying. These ads appear when third-party companies make use of your personal information to display ads that align with your interests and preferences.
Even if you are no longer interested in seeing such ads, your social media account may trick you into watching those ads, again and again, leaving you no choice but to skip them. For blocking specific websites using your network, get in touch with Spectrum servicio al cliente. If you don’t want to see ads on social media anymore, then first, you need to understand how targeted ads make it to your device. Then, we will explain to you different ways to minimize the possibility of getting ads on your screen. Keep reading to find out how to go about it.
What Kind of Information Can be Stored Through Targeted Ads?
Generally, targeted ads gather demographic and psychographic information about their audience, which may include the following:
- The number of family members
- Relationship status
- Job title
- Educational background
- The ads you have clicked on
- Device usage
- Online purchases
- Employer’s details
- Engagement with groups and pages
- Travel preferences
- The speed of the internet connection
- The type of cellular device you have
How Targeted Ads Work
Many people believe that their voices are heard and recorded through microphones in cellular devices. This is because as soon as you search a query on Google, there is a chance that your Facebook or YouTube accounts will start showcasing advertisements containing similar products.
Similarly, if you are simply discussing a random thought with your friends or family without posting on social media, you will most likely come across ads that align with the opinions and ideas running through your mind. You may experience such situations due to the following reasons:
- Your social media accounts were signed in while you were checking out products on an online store.
- You made a purchase on the website that is sending advertisements containing similar products to your screen.
- Your profile matches the target audience of a company.
- Your Google account is signed in on any of its applications, such as Google Chrome, Google Maps, Waze, or Gmail. This makes it easier for Google to understand your likes, dislikes, interests, and preferences for target marketing.
Steps to Avoid Getting Targeted Ads on Your Social Accounts
If you are no longer interested in checking or buying products from a certain brand, you can avoid receiving ads from such brands using the following steps:
Instagram uses information from your past activities on both Facebook and Instagram, to display ads on your account. In addition, it may use your browsing history on other apps and websites to run target marketing campaigns.
So, if you wish to prevent your details, such as the accounts you follow, the accounts that follow you, the accounts that you interact with, and the type of posts that interest you the most.
Follow these steps to ensure that your data remains private:
- View your Instagram home page.
- Visit your Instagram profile.
- Tap the menu icon that appears at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Tap Settings and scroll down to tap Ads.
- Go to Ad preferences and tap Data about your activity from partners.
- Depending on your preference, tap the toggle bar to choose an account.
Facebook works on the same algorithm that is used for sending targeted ads on Instagram. It makes use of your data related to likes, follows, posts, check-ins, and your overall engagement levels. However, you can limit the amount of data shared with Facebook for target marketing by following these steps:
- View your Facebook app home page.
- Go to your profile to access Profile Settings.
- Then, tap View Privacy Shortcuts and scroll down to Ad Preferences to tap Review your Ad preferences.
- Then, tap Hide Ads to disable ads from displaying on your screen.
A few modifications in your existing Google account’s Settings will help minimize the number of ads you see on social media. Follow these steps:
- Visit your profile on your Google account and click on Data & personalization from the main menu.
- Then, go to Web & App Activity to disable ads or add a few activities to the list.
For general and technical support, dial numero de Spectrum at 1-833-267-6094.
The Bottom Line
While targeted ads offer many opportunities for brands to market their products and services, you can avoid or limit them to a certain degree for a smooth browsing experience. These ads may gather and save your data to run more targeted ads in the future. However, you can follow the abovementioned steps to minimize or completely stop the number of targeted ads running on your device.